Thursday, February 5, 2009

CHAPTER 4: NOT YOU TOO, MICK ?????

Dear Reader:

Ever hear a song whose lyrics and rhythms express your exact life experience of the moment? Maybe its “Could It Be I’m Falling In Love”? or “Breaking Up is Hard To Do”, or "Just Ask the Lonely", or anything else that’s relevant to “life as we know” it---- at the moment? Yeah, me too.

Anyway, the other day, as I took a few minutes respite from sending out about three hundred resumes (i.e. yep, I am still looking hard for gainful employment) and waited for 300 companies not to acknowledge receipt (more on this in a later post), I ran across this video of a live performance of Simply Red’s “Money’s Too Tight to Mention” on YouTube. (See video bar to the right; second window from the top.) I was enthralled which I usually find it hard to be when I am dead broke and the gas gauge is past empty. Mick Hucknall must’ve been following me around, because the song’s lyrics describe my situation EXACTLY!

Wikipedia says that the song was first written and performed circa 1980 and speaks of the economic problems of that era. It specifically mentions Reaganomics. No matter what its specific history might be, it certainly speaks to the problems of today -------and mine in particular, dear reader. (Maybe there really is a business cycle although this recession feels worse than ANY other that I can remember.)

Often times live performances don’t always carry the rich sounds and tones of the original studio mix. This 2007 live rendition of “Money’s Too Tight” might be better than the studio version. This was bravo performance by the band and in particular Mick Hucknall, Simply Red’s front man. Give it a listen. If you’re like me you’ll end up listening to it twice ----maybe even thrice. Even if you’re dead broke and don’t really want to be reminded of this fact, you’ll still appreciate their performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London. It’s that good. If you’re flush with cash you might still listen to it several times if only to remind yourself how things used to be. Lucky you.


By the way, I used to think that Lionel Ritchie was the absolute best at working a live audience. I think Mick Hucknall might even be better. Lastly, check out the saxophone and trumpet players about half way thru the performance. They really 'get down'. (I love the sax. Sometimes I think that the really good saxophone players are in a world of their own ---and it ai't the same world that the rest of us are from.)

While 2009 will supposedly be the last year of Simply Red (i.e. they are doing a farewell tour), I hope that Hucknall keeps the song in his solo repertoire. Even his way of delivering bad news is a great respite from the real life blues and a current day ANTHEM for many of us. Great Performance, Mick! Great song!

Simply broke,
JustPlainWill

No comments:

Post a Comment